Job Title: Visitor Center Assistant
Location: 9325 South Alda Road, Wood River, NE 68883
Reports to: Director of Finance & Human Resources
Date: This outreach notice will remain open until filled
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Application: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Formed in 1978, the Crane Trust is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and maintaining critical habitats for Whooping Cranes, Sandhill Cranes, and other migratory birds along the Big Bend Region of the Platte River Valley through sound science, habitat management, community outreach, and education.
The Crane Trust is located at Exit 305 on Interstate-80 in south-central Nebraska, approximately 15 miles southwest of Grand Island, NE.
Proactively greet, engage, and outreach our mission to guests visiting the Crane Trust’s Nature and Visitor Center. Explain and refer guests to the different features present, such as an art gallery, auditorium, gift shop, display room, and public trail systems. Have in-depth knowledge of resources regarding the Crane Trust mission, Whooping and Sandhill Cranes and their migration corridors and habitats, pollinators, vegetations, and American Bison. Operate a phone system where you answer, forward, or document incoming calls. Operate the different aspects of the Gift Shop, including the point of sale system. Organize educational events for people of all ages. Recommend additional local crane viewing opportunities during the spring migration and local amenities related to guests’ inquiries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Must have a basic knowledge of computers and software programs such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint. Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a proclivity to engage people in a professional setting with a positive attitude and pleasant rapport.
• Greet visitors with a friendly, customer-first attitude.
• Assist visitors with their gift shop and art gallery purchases.
• Have detailed knowledge of the Crane Trust website.
• Have a general knowledge of conservation organizations in Nebraska.
• Maintain current brochure information and recycle out-of-date products. Continually re-stock products and amenities provided throughout the Visitor Center.
• Keep Visitor Center environments clean and presentable.
• Assist Directors in gathering visitor data, namely visitor counts and visitor information via sign-in opportunities, and assist with data entry into relevant databases.
• Maintain effective communication throughout the Visitor Center, and with other Directors, assistants, volunteers, and the United States Fish & Wildlife Service employees based in the Visitor Center.
• Participate in and support the annual volunteer training event.
• Assist Director of Finance & Human Resources with the March crane season events and gift shop operation each year.
• Assist the Director of Fundraising & Outreach with various outreach and marketing projects.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• An equivalent combination of education and experience is sufficient to perform the essential job responsibilities successfully.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to meet schedules and deadlines.
• Ability to work on multiple projects and priorities.
• Knowledge of principles of publicity, promotion, and public relations.
• Ability to conduct presentations for both small and large groups.
• Flexibility to work weekends or evenings as required, irregular hours during the Sandhill Crane spring migration season.
• Possess a valid driver’s license.