Be inspired, photograph, and stay immersed the entire trip.
Crane Trust Photo Workshops and Safaris are designed for the intermediate and advanced photographer using a digital SLR camera. Participants will have numerous opportunities to photograph from custom built Crane Trust VIP photo blinds on the Platte River as hundreds of thousands of Sandhill Cranes leave the river at first light and return to the river at sunset. Additionally, there will be opportunities to photograph cranes and other migrating waterfowl from nearby county roads as well as get up close to the Crane Trust’s genetically pure bison herd as they roam the prairie.
What You'll Need
- Long telephoto lens in the 400-600mm range with teleconverters for dancing cranes and flight photos
- Mid-range telephoto zoom that you can handhold for clusters of birds in flight
- Wide angle lens for scenic views of the river with thousands of cranes
- Tripod and/or monopod
- Laptop with image processing software
- Layered clothing with wind and water protection, warm boots, gloves, and warm head-wear
What to Expect
- Delicious meals and beverages (soft drinks, wine & beer)
- Custom built photo blinds
- Largest roost in the world at the end of your lens
- Photo Workshop classrooms at headquarters and instructors on-site 24-hours to help answer your questions
- Access to thousands of acres of historic prairie full of wildlife, including the Crane Trust’s large herd of genetically pure bison
- Potentially display your favorite photo at the Crane Trust’s Hornady Art Gallery
Guidelines & Rules
Please read the following rules and guidelines carefully before registering for a photography experience.
- Must be over 18 years of age to participate or accompany a participant.
- Dress warmly and in layers. Early-spring mornings and evenings in Nebraska can be unpredictable and chilly. Blinds are unheated. Bring the warmest boots, coat, gloves and hat you have. Dress for 20 degrees below air temperature. Rain gear may be desirable in wet weather.
- No flashlights or flash photography.
- Bring cameras, binoculars or video equipment.
- The Crane Trust will cancel experiences if Interstate 80 is closed anywhere between Lincoln and North Platte due to bad weather. In the event of a closure, we will attempt to reach you via email and by phone. In the event that the Crane Trust cancels an experience, you will receive a full refund.